Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blanche & The Younger Man

Dirk and Blanche
If you know anything about me, you know that this episode will be a favorite of mine just based on the title alone. ;) I apologize for the lack of deliberation on my part in keeping these postings updated. I really will try to be more proactive in getting them up! I wouldn't want to disappoint all of my adoring fans! Haha!




Anyway, I know it's kind of cheesy, but I just get a warm, calming feeling every time I hear the theme song for this show. I can be in the crabbbiest of moods, but when I hear, "Thank you for being a friend..." I just start to feel happy and relaxed. This brings me to a sad note, Andrew Gold passed away this week. He wrote the theme song featured on the show. It got me to thinking, though, that I truly hope that someday when I'm gone, I will have left behind something that is a source of happiness to someone else in the way that his song is for me. How perfect is it that his last name is Gold, by the way? Interesting coincidence, I think.

This episode is titled after Blanche's subplot, but I actually think the subplot with Rose and her mother stands out as the central plot for this episode. If you've been following my posts at all, you know that I prefer to start with the darker themes and then get into the lighthearted, funny stuff so that we can end on a happy note (as nearly all of the episodes end on a happy note, it only seems appropriate!). Ergo, we'll take a look at the issue with Rose and her mother and then get into Blanche and her cougar-happy ways!

Rose and her mother (Alma)
If I ever have a daughter that treats me the way Rose is treating her mother...Lord help her! I was annoyed for Alma (Rose's mom) within the first few moments of her visit. Alma is perfectly capable of taking care of herself and Rose insists on babying her to death. Of course, Rose's intentions are good (when are they anything less?), but I feel embarrassed for elderly people when other adults speak to them as if they are children. Granted, sometimes elderly people believe themselves to be more capable than they really are and they require assistance to get through the day. This is perfectly understandable and I would imagine that it would be very difficult to have to tell someone (especially someone you love) that they are simply not able to live as independently as they have been accustomed. Ideally, adult children would have the ability to discern to what extent their elderly parents are capable of living without assistance and react accordingly.

Actually, this represents yet another reason why I love this show so much. I spend very little time thinking of my parents' and my twilight years, but that time will someday come and it is better to be preparing yourself for what may lie ahead. Golden Girls gets me thinking about how I would react in their situations, and I don't believe that I would spend much time contemplating my life after 50 and beyond if it weren't for some of the themes I see on the show.

I enjoy looking at the mother-daughter relationship from the "later in life" angle. Mother-daughter relationships are often depicted when the daughter is a teen, but seeing it from the perspective of two older women is definitely more rare. I also like how Rose and Alma's relationship is contrasted with Dorothy and Sophia's. I think the writers did a good job demonstrating the differences and similarities here: the desire to protect one another versus the inclination to be overprotective, for example. Rose and Dorothy's attitudes towards their mothers are actually very appropriate given their characters. Rose is more nurturing and as such it is more understandable that she would become overly protective of her mother. Dorothy is more practical. She sees that her mother needs assistance in some ways, but is generally quite independent and Dorothy gives Sophia adequate freedom and space. The conversation that ultimately remedies the friction between Rose and her mother is so touching! I think we all dread the day that our parents will someday leave us. It can be a haunting thought and it is no wonder that Rose can't even bring herself to think about it.

Stop! Cougar time!

The entire subplot with Blanche and Dirk (the cougar bait) is perfect from beginning to end! To start with, it creates a perfect comedic counterbalance for the graver Rose and Alma subplot. Additionally, it is an easy way to work in one-liners that allow the girls to slam Blanche for her vanity. Finally, hearing Dirk tell Blanche, "You remind me of my mother," toward the end of the episode just wraps it up perfectly! I like that Alma had a 3 year relationship with a younger man, too. It gives the 2 subplots some overlap and allows the episode a bit more uniformity/solidarity. I think the best part of all of it, though, has to be how relentless Dorothy is when she teases Blanche about Dirk.

Blanche: A man [Dirk's] age is used to a trim body with good tone.
Dorothy: So buy him a princess phone.

You can't beat that stuff!

***Cheesecake count: 1...still...

St. Olaf vs. Sicily: 0 to1

References:
Andy Griffith, John Cameron Swayze, and Walt Disney

Quote of the day:

Blanche: Dirk is nearly 5 years younger than I am.
Dorothy: In what, Blanche? Dog years?
Blanche: However, I have decided to overlook that minor detail and succumb to the Vesuvius of passion that is about to erupt from me. 
Sophia: Stand back. We're going to get something on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment