Monday, August 1, 2011

The Custody Battle

One of the more brilliant phenomena of The Golden Girls is featured in the mother/daughter angle. Without the Sophia/Dorothy relationship, the show's themes could only be approached and evaluated through the lens of friendship. Having a mother and daughter pair allows the writers to examine some major (and albeit minor, too) life issues as seen from the perspective of a mother and her middle-aged daughter. No matter how old a woman gets, her mother will always nag her. Likewise, daughters will always roll their eyes at said nagging. It's simply the circle of life.
Dorothy and her sister Gloria

This time, Dorothy is fed up with Sophia nagging her about dating. Personally, I don't understand exactly why Sophia is so adamant about Dorothy finding someone to date. I'm sure Dorothy would be glad to find a good man to date if he came along. In fact, she even tells Sophia that when she finds someone worth dating--she will date him! Surely Sophia's harping on her to find a man isn't going to make Dorothy any more inspired to meet someone. The desire is already present. The problem is in the execution rather than the will. I can only suppose that Sophia's nagging isn't a product of her lack of reason, but a product of her desire for Dorothy to be happy.

Unfortunately, this little tiff for Dorothy and Sophia occurs just before Gloria (Dorothy's wealthy, widowed younger sister) arrives for a visit from California. Dorothy's relationship with Gloria isn't great, but it is a lot better than Blanche's relationship with Virginia and Charmagne or Rose's relationship with her sister Holly. Still, Gloria gets on my nerves. She definitely flaunts her wealth unabashedly and even has the audacity to ask Dorothy if her wealth, her children's success, and her happy marriage made Dorothy jealous or resentful. That would leave a bitter taste in my mouth if I were in Dorothy's place. Ultimately, Gloria offers to have Sophia move to California with her and Sophia accepts. Of course, Sophia ends up staying with the girls, but it's the reactions to this news that make the episode worth watching. It's cute how Blanche and Rose are so opposed to Sophia leaving. They all argue and tease each other all the time, but the way they love and value each other is truly precious!

Blanche and Rose heading out for a double date!
Dorothy and Gloria may squabble over who should get to live with Sophia, but it's nice that ultimately the sisters grow closer together in thinking that each was the favorite child. It's also touching when Gloria tells Dorothy that she in fact envies Dorothy's life. Gloria has money, but she is lonely and feels that she is unfulfilled. I think it takes a lot of humility to confess something like that, and while Gloria annoys me at the beginning of the episode, I definitely find her character more appealing after she and Dorothy talk things out. Additionally, Sophia's observation that many older people have children fighting over who has to house them rather than who gets to house them is a sad but relevant truth. She really is one of the lucky ones!

On to the minor notes that stood out to me. They are so random in nature that I'm simply going to put them in list format:

1. I think Sophia is too harsh toward Dorothy sometimes. If my mother told me not to expect a miracle when I went in for a makeover I would be in tears!

2. It's surprising that the writers chose Macbeth as the community theatre's play. Actors are so superstitious about that particular show! Some actors won't even call the play by name for fear of bad luck!

3. Rose claims to have 8 siblings! She is adopted, I wonder if any more of them are...off the top of my head, I am not sure. Maybe we will hear more in later episodes and I have simply forgotten?

4. There are many times in the series where the girls discuss marrying and moving out. I think this foreshadows the finale in a way.

5. Sophia is a kleptomaniac! So funny!

6. Gloria brings gifts for Sophia and Dorothy and wraps them, but she tells them what's inside each box. Why even wrap them (This is not my observation. Someone posted that comment on a YouTube video and I thought it was a very good point!)?
Blanche on hearing the news that Rose was cast as Lady Macbeth over her!

***
Cheesecake count: 1

St. Olaf v. Sicily: 0 to 1

References: Bert Convey, Michael Landon, Jane Pauley, Willard Scott

Quote of the day:

Rose: Sophia can't leave...What about us? Who's going to keep after us, make us linguine, and tell us stories about Sicily?


Dorothy: I don't know, Rose. Maybe Mary Poppins has an Italian cousin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment