Monday, May 23, 2011

The Competition

Rose and Sophia wearing Blanche's new bowling outfit! ;)
Dorothy and Blanche team up against Rose and Sophia in a bowling competition. If Sophia wins, she gets to fly to Sicily and Dorothy will buy the plane ticket! If Dorothy wins, she gets Sophia's antique silver earrings. This is the first episode to give Sophia more time in the limelight. Her character turned out to be very popular with the audience. I attribute it to her ability to get away with saying whatever she feels inclined to say whenever she feels inclined to say it. This episode also shows off what a champ Sophia is! She's a great bowler, a great cook, and she's still got enough spunk to keep the fellas chasing her! Actually, I can't blame her for finding Augustine cute! I think he's cute (as men over 80 go). The whole story between them is very sweet. I think there's something appealing about love blossoming at an advanced age. It's nice to see that the young don't have a monopoly on romance.

The bowling competition definitely brings out the competitor in Rose. It's so funny that this sweet, cheerful little Minnesota farm girl is so cut-throat and relentlessly competitive, but I think it makes her a more well-rounded character. Not to mention that it's just hilarious to watch her go from docile and complacent to absolutely fierce when something turns into a contest. Her competitiveness becomes a running joke throughout the series.

A little trash talk before the big game!
Comedically, there were a few things that really stood out in this episode: Sophia's inexplicable knack for bowling, the relentless trash talking that goes on between the two teams of girls throughout the episode (Blanche and Drothy on one team versus Sophia and Rose on the other), and the cheap tricks that Sophia and Rose use to distract Blanche and Dorothy during the bowling match. It's appropriate that Rose and Sophia play dirty to increase their chances of winning. Rose is totally out for blood and Sophia wants to win to prove to Dorothy that she is not a feeble old woman (and she wants Dorothy to fund her plane ticket to Sicily, of course, per the terms of the bet). Plus, Sophia is not above cheating anyway. Like I said, she can get away with it somehow!

Sophia gives Dorothy the earrings after all.
There aren't any inconsistencies to report and all of the characters adhere to their general ways, so there's not much to be said about this episode in that respect. I would say, however, that if I were Dorothy, I would not have lost intentionally. I know she did it so that her mother could go to Italy, but I guess I just relate to Rose's competitiveness! If I were Dorothy, I would have gone for the win and talked nonstop trash. I would still buy my mom's ticket to Italy, though. That way I could give her what she really wants and still have walked away with the win! ;)



***Cheesecake count: Still 1. They are guzzling coffee and tea like crazy, though! I never noticed how much coffee and tea they drink, I guess

References: None stood out

St.Olaf vs. Sicily: 0 to 1

Quote of the day:

Sophia: How do I look?
Dorothy: Like a widow in mourning.
Sophia: Perfect! He'll know I'm available!

No comments:

Post a Comment