Friday, May 20, 2011

On Golden Girls

Before I get started, let me inform you that I am spending my Friday night updating my Golden Girls blog. I'm feeling like Dorothy tonight! Haha!
Who wouldn't want to start the day sharing breakfast with their best friends?



Of course, Blanche hits on the cop as soon as she gets the chance! ;)
OK, on with the show (pun completely intended). This is a very cut and dry Golden Girls episode. The girls are really on a roll making fun of each other nonstop and there's one basic plot focus: the ungrateful punk of a teenage grandson coming to visit and disrupting the usual ebb and flow of the girls' daily routine. Actually, he really gets on my nerves. Even after finding out that he (Blanche's grandson David) has been struggling with a difficult situation at home, it's hard for me to be all that sympathetic. I mean, how can anyone be so disrespectful when speaking to his grandmother? It's just bad manners. Nevertheless, I think the girls handle the situation beautifully and Dorothy does an especially good job of challenging David to think outside of himself/beyond his present situation. Sophia's method for handling David's attitude is not half bad, either! Also, my heart goes out to Blanche in this episode when she blames herself for David's troubles.

My favorite scene features Dorothy and Sophia trying to share a bed in order to give David a room to himself. The banter here is classic, but they also bond and reminisce about the last time they had to share a bed. I crack up when Sophia makes her voice deeper and says, "Mommy, I'm having a bed dream!" as she imitates Dorothy as a small child! All humor aside, I think their relationship is very special.

Blanche with her grandson (David)
Now, let's talk inconsistencies! Blanche claims to have a number of children. Off the top of my head, I know that she claims to have children named Janet, Rebecca, Matthew, Biff, Doug, and Skippy. However, we never once meet one of Blanche's sons. Rebecca is the daughter that makes the greatest number of appearances on the show. We only meet Janet at the tail end of the series and she does not look remotely old enough to be David's mother. We're talking maybe a 10 year difference. Actually, I just looked it up on IMDB and the actress who played Janet (Jessica Lundy) is only 3 years older than the actor who played David (Billy Jayne). Anyway, you would think something like the number of children a character has would be easy for the writers to keep consistent. 


***
Cheesecake count: 1


References: Sly Stalone and Cary Grant


St. Olaf v. Sicily: 0 to 1. Now let me be specific! We hear about Rose's farm life and about life in Sicily in this episode, but I will not add these references to the count because it has to start with "Back in St.Olaf" for Rose or "Picture it: Sicily, 19XX" for Sophia (or some variation of those story openings) to count in my tally.


Quote of the day:


"Personally, I like to lay into a kid with a melon baller. It's got a nice weight, good balance in the hand, and it's portable." -Sophia Petrillo 

No comments:

Post a Comment